Sunday, August 24, 2008

Teach Your Children Well



I never understood why some folks don't value their stories - where they came from - who their ancestors were. I think it's fascinating to know about past generations - not just your own childhood - that is so limiting!

I love it when my mother tells my daughter that she has the same shape head that her great-great grandmother had (as she strokes the back of her head and neck). Then, she tells a story, of course, of how her grandmother used to wear her hair, etc...

We have a lot of Native Americans around here and this girl in the photo was caught off-guard during a pow wow recently. She is learning the ways of her ancestors even if she does live in a brick home and ride the school bus to school. Equal energy is spent learning the old ways.

May you share that connectiveness today with those whom you love... and drink a glass of sweet tea for me!

No comments: